What's Poly, anyway?

My blog description says I'm poly, but what does that mean? The geek in me wants to tell you it's an amalgamation of greek and latin and it's a mushed together made up word. I'll resist though and simply tell you that poly means many and amor means love. So Polyamory means many loves. Outside of that basic description, it means different things to different people. Essentially it means that I, and my partners, believe that a person can be in love with more than one person at a time.

For me, that means I have a primary relationship with Wulf but that we're both "allowed" to seek out other romantic relationships. In our dynamic, my partners aren't expected to be romantically or sexually active with Wulf. The same is true of his partners and me. Friendships are encouraged, of course, there is no sneaking around or secrets in poly. My other partners, right now that's Schatzi, are "allowed" to have romantic relationships outside of the one they share with me.

Poly is not easy. Of course, it's difficult emotionally to deal with times of jealousy and the like but it's also a scheduling nightmare. No one thinks of what you're going to do on the holidays and birthdays and anniversaries. You have more anniversaries to remember now, by the way. How many are coming for dinner today? What do they like to eat? Where is everyone going to sleep? Who am I going to see that new movie with? Which one of them told me which joke? etc etc etc

Poly is what makes me happy. Wulf gives me things that Schatzi cannot give me and Schatzi gives me things that Wulf cannot. As long as everyone feels loved, respected and important, poly is a wonderful thing!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Submission

Control

Not Micromanaging My Pleasure